Virginia Tech®home

Oak Lane Community Guide

What is Oak Lane?

At Virginia Tech, our Greek organizations have a home at Oak Lane. Located behind the golf course, Oak Lane is comprised of 19 buildings that house fraternities and sororities on campus. Oak Lane features recreational fields, volleyball courts, basketball courts, and a pavillion that may be reserved by on-campus groups. Rooms are suite-style with a shared bath. Amenities and room size/setup vary by house.


Oak Lane seeks to provide opportunities to grow, lead, and develop relationships through the implementation of a learning-centered curriculum that's rooted in the interfratneral community values of Engage, Lead, Learn, Inspire, and Serve.


Oak Lane strives to build unity within the interfraternal community by creating an environment that values scholarship, leadership, and inclusion where individuals can live out through their unique chapter experiences.

The following is the Alcohol Beverage Policy for members of Fraternity and Sorority Life:

Oak Lane Community Alcohol Beverage Use Plain English Policies.pdf (PDF | 70KB)

For an organization in Oak Lane to host an event with alcohol, an Oak Lane Alcohol Event Registration Form must be submitted to an Oak Lane Residential Learning Coordinator at least 10 calendar days prior to the event.

Residents of Oak Lane will be able to move-in to their facility during the dates and times specified by Housing and Residence Life. House Supervisors will be in communication with their residents about other pertinent move-in information. A list of dates for moving-in and moving-out for each semester can be found on the Housing website. 

Additional information from Housing and Residence Life about move-in and move-out may be found at:

Students living in the Oak Lane Community are responsible for the condition of their assigned room and all furnishings. In the event there is any damage or loss of these furnishings, the individual student will be assessed the costs of the damage.  

Organizations may be billed for damage, vandalism, body spills, trash removal, missing furniture or housekeeping charges in a common area when the responsible individuals cannot be determined. When a common area damage situation is discovered, the House Supervisor and the Residential Learning Coordinators will inform the residents of these damages. If any individual is found responsible, he or she may be charged for the damage and cost. However, if the responsible individual(s) is not determined, the organization will be billed.

Appeals can occur for billable damages, they should be submitted via email to with the Subject Line reading “Damage Billing Appeal.”  All appeals must contain your name, the chapter name, building/room charge, and invoice date in question. Any appeal must be made before the due date is listed on this bill, however, any charges must be paid by the due date to avoid late fees and finance charges.

Chapters should make checks out to the Treasurer of Virginia Tech and mailed to the address listed on the invoice or paid at the Office of the University Bursar, Student Services Building. Any questions you have about the bill that you received should be directed to Debbie Duncan ( or 540-231-2987).

If an organization wants to physical modify their house, the organization must submit a Facility Enhancement Request form to the Residential Learning Coordinators for review and processing. The Residential Learning Coordinator will then forward the Facility Enhancement to the Housing and Residents Life (HRL) Facilities Department for final review and approval.  If approved, the HRL Facilities Department will provide a cost estimate for the modification being requested. Once the organization approves the cost estimate and provides a charge back number, the HRL Facilities Department will act as Project Manager and contract the work to be done. Plans and code review, permitting and inspections will be required for all facilities enhancement involving new mechanical, electrical, plumbing and structural work.

The University may enter individual rooms to perform health and safety inspections. Health and safety inspections will be announced, except in cases of emergency or necessity. During inspections, staff will look for items which violate the University policies such as unapproved extension cords, candles, flammable materials, excessive wall coverage, etc. Read more about the policies describing appropriate decorations.

Pre-scheduled fire drills will also occur once each semester. House Supervisors will be present to assist emergency personnel with this process. Residents should exit the building immediately when a fire alarm occurs.

The state fire marshal inspects Oak Lane regularly and without notice. Below is a list of common fire marshal violations.  Please note that this is not a complete list of state fire code violations. For more information contact David Retting (Safety Compliance Officer – or 540-231-9397).

Common Violations:

  • Storage items too close to ceiling, especially in the closets.

  • Obstructions in hallways and blocking exit doors and pathways to maintenance closets.

  • Covering of exit signs.

  • Propping open of doors by any means and/or blocking of exit doors by any means

  • Damage to ceiling tiles, exit doors, or walls.

  • Stairwells not maintained and/or stairwell doors propped open.

  • Electrical hazards; use of extension cords, or cords blocking a walkway.

  • Materials inside should be flame resistant.

  • Fabric or decorative material on wall that is not allowed and/or an excess of allowable material on walls.

  • Damaged sprinkler heads.

The Virginia Tech Police will provide security patrols for the Oak Lane in accordance with their regular procedures. Houses are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless requested otherwise for a special event.  Blue light/emergency phones have been placed near residential buildings and in other locations throughout the campus.  These telephones are intended to serve for emergency calls to the Police. Once activated, VTPD will come to the phone location for investigation. Blue light phones are located around Oak Lane.

In the event that the swipe system is down in your building, a resident should contact their House Supervisor.  If the issue occurs after hours or on the weekends, the House Supervisor on duty should be contacted, who will report to the appropriate Residence Life staff member.

All chapter members in good standing identified by the chapter leadership can be given access to the house. It is up to the chapter to ensure that the appropriate individuals are identified for access.  Each year an audit will be completed to ensure the appropriate individuals have access to the house. House Supervisors may submit a list of additions to the Residential Learning Coordinators as needed.

If a chapter advisor would like to have access to the house, the House Supervisor should email the Residential Learning Coordinators to make this request. All requests for access to the house (during break, temp. access, unlocked doors for special event, etc.) should go through the Residential Learning Coordinators who will work with Hokie Passport.

Housekeeping regularly cleans the hallways and common areas of all facilities in Oak Lane. All resident room bathrooms and showers are cleaned by Housekeeping at winter and spring break. During these breaks when the bathrooms and showers are cleaned, residents should remove personal hygiene products and/or organize and keep these areas free of clutter so housekeeping can effectively and thoroughly clean these areas. Housekeeping will not move or organize any personal items. Disorganized or cluttered personal items may prevent cleaning of these spaces during the breaks. Toilet paper is available throughout the semester for the suites in the following locations:

Oak Lane Buildings 61-70 and 78 laundry rooms

Oak Lane Buildings 74A, 75A, 76A, 77A Women’s common bathroom

Oak Lane Buildings 74B, 75B, 76B, 77B Men’s common bathroom

The need for excessive cleaning in common areas is the financial responsibility of the organization and charges will be assessed accordingly. Excessive cleaning is defined as any cleaning beyond the normal operation of the housekeeping staff.

House Supervisors serve a strategic role in the delivery of residential services to on campus fraternity and sorority housing.  House Supervisors serve as the liaison between Housing and Residence Life, Fraternity and Sorority Life, organizational officers, organizational advisors, members and related offices on campus.  Through personal interactions, House Supervisors identify interests and needs of individual members or groups, develop responsive action plans, and work with members of the chapter to maintain a positive and dynamic living environment. The House Supervisor is also essential in the execution of all community goals related to the Division of Student Affairs Aspirations for Student Learning, Housing and Residence Life and Fraternity and Sorority Life.

The hiring process for House Supervisors occurs in the fall semester for the subsequent academic year. Questions about the role or hiring process should be directed to the Residential Learning Coordinators.

Use campus mail address format:

Student Name                                             Jane Doe
Building Name Room Number          Special Purpose Housing D, Room 108
Street address                                             2805 Oak Lane
Blacksburg, VA 24061-XXXX             Blacksburg, VA 24061-9527

Visit our housing information page for a list of on- and off-campus housing addresses

For a resident in Transfer House, the format for mail should be the following:

Resident Name
Transfer House RM #
2475 Oak Lane
Blacksburg VA 24061-9524

The University is responsible for the general maintenance of Oak Lane. Damages beyond reasonable wear and tear in common areas are the financial responsibility of the organization and charges will be assessed accordingly. It is up to the organization as to who will take financial responsibility for damages (i.e. an individual chapter member or the entire chapter).  The University is not responsible for maintaining facility enhancements completed by the organization (painting, appliances, patio, etc.)

For issues within the building, please submit a work order through Hokie Brokie. Residents should submit work orders for their own room.

Emergency Maintenance is available for Oak Lane in the cases of imminent danger to people or property. In the event of a situation that requires emergency maintenance, a House Supervisor should utilize the duty protocol. It is important that the House Supervisor physically sees the issue or incident in question before enacting duty protocol.

The University is responsible for the upkeep and care of any area or appliance that is owned and installed by the university. Any item purchased by the chapter and installed is the responsibility of the chapter to maintain.

After the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors authorized recognition of general fraternities and sororities in 1972, the University, shortly thereafter, made a proposal to begin building on-campus fraternity and sorority housing. These houses were to be built in phases as part of the Residence Hall System in what is known now as the Oak Lane Community. The community is also frequently referred to as Special Purpose Housing (SPH).

Three Phase I houses (SPH-A through C) opened in the fall of 1983 with two fraternities, Pi Kappa Alpha and Phi Kappa Sigma, and one sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha, chosen for these first houses. The seven Phase II (SPH-D through J) houses opened in the fall of 1990 with one fraternity and six sororities. The eight Phase III (SPH-K-R) houses opened in the fall of 2001 with four fraternities and four sororities.  The newest phase, Phase IV, opened in 2013. This fourth Phase will continue to grow, eventually incorporating common buildings, meeting space, fitness rooms, dining, and offices.

Because all on-campus students, through their housing fees, help to make Oak Lane possible, an agreement was made with the fraternity and sorority community when the Oak Lane project was conceived that stipulated the groups living there would agree to maintain 100% occupancy of each house. By doing so, other on-campus students would not subsidize any vacancies in Oak Lane houses either in their housing fees or in their dining fees (all resident hall students are required to purchase a major meal plan—again because the large number of students in the residence hall system enables the University to minimize dining plan costs for everyone). This agreement still stands today. An organizational fee (currently $5,500 per semester) was also developed to help offset the costs of the Oak Lane Community. The organization fee helps to cover the expenses of all public areas of each house, grounds maintenance, etc.  The leases for Oak Lane in phases I-III are issued for a three-year period and then can be renewed if the University and the organization both agree. For more information on Phase IV housing, please visit the following press release:

Each organization is expected to maintain 100% occupancy of their respective facility.  When vacancies occur at the start of the semester, the organization will be allowed until the vacancy billing date to make arrangements for filling the spaces(s).  In the event that arrangements cannot be made, the organization will be billed for room fees and dining contracts lost due to unfilled space.  Bills will be issued after the vacancy billing date.

Individuals living in Oak Lane will be required to submit a University Housing contract.  The contract will be issued electronically to the future residents based off a list provided by the House Supervisor. A paper version is available for those who prefer. To view the terms and conditions of a university housing contract, please visit:

Many organizations establish chapter-specific contracts to ensure financial accountability for their individual chapter member. This contract is used to hold chapter members accountable for their fiscal obligation to the chapter for living in the house for that particular academic year. These contracts are used to help provide financial protection to the organization should a resident be released from the University Housing contract for University-related reasons. Please note that the university has no authority over an organization issued  contract/lease. Anyone with questions or concerns about an organization issued contract/lease should contact the respective chapter advisor.

The appropriate representatives from the University and the respective organization will sign an organizational lease agreement for a period of three years for Phases I-III houses.  Phase IV houses are on a 50 year lease.  The contract time period is non-negotiable, but is always subject to annual review by Housing and Residence Life. This agreement will define the organization’s obligation to provide full occupancy and maintain the facility in an acceptable condition.

Organizational members who are full-time students are eligible to live in Oak Lane. Students not in good standing or non-members are allowed to live in the Oak Lane houses by invitation of the organization with the approval of Housing and Residence Life; however, the organization must carefully make such a decision.  The non-member has full rights to occupancy in the house once a contract is offered and signed.  It is difficult to remove a person who holds an active contract for a space within the facility if the relationship sours at a later date.  If a mutually agreed upon decision is made by the organization and an individual resident in regards to their moving out of the house, the House Supervisor will notify, in writing, to the Residential Learning Coordinators that the chapter is releasing the respective individual from their university housing obligation. At that point, the organization would be responsible for the remaining costs associated with that vacant bed.

For a room change to occur, please visit the following: This form should be submitted to the area office manager in Ambler Johnston.  To note, for all room changes that occur, the original and new Room Condition Forms need to be completed and submitted to the Residential Learning Coordinators.

Room Condition Forms (RCFs) must be completed every time someone moves into or out of a room. Please be thorough and document any assessment of damage done to the room.  It is important that residents are thorough and detail any and all damage present at move-in.  The listed condition of items on this document is used to assess damage billing at the time of checkout.  The Residential Learning Coordinators will review all submitted forms. RCFs must be completed before a student moves their belongings into their assigned space. RCFs completed upon move out must be returned to the House Supervisor who will give it to the Residential Learning Coordinators.

If after the initial semester vacancy bill date, a vacancy occurs from resignation, organizational action, or for reasons outside the direct influence of the organization as determined by Housing and Residence Life, the organization will not be responsible for the cost of that vacated space for the remainder of that semester.  If a vacancy continues into the spring semester, the house is then responsible for the spring vacancy charge. If the organization requests that a resident be release from their housing/dining contract obligations, the organization will be charged for the prorated amount for the rest of the semester.  Depending on a resident’s current housing obligation, Housing and Residence Life may allow students to move from traditional residence halls into the Oak Lane houses at any point in the semester. Students who are taking part of a living-learning community are strongly urged to consider the commitment made to their LLC and to meet with the LLC program directors prior to engaging in a transfer to an Oak Lane house.

  • If a student moves into the house before the initial semester vacancy bill is distributed Housing and Residence Life will count that bed space as being filled for the semester.

  • If a student moves into the house at any point in the semester, Housing and Residence Life will give credit for the prorated room rate amount only to the house vacancy bill.

The per vacancy charge for a bed in Oak Lane is a combination of the missing bed cost, the base cost of a meal plan, and telecommunication charges.  The base cost of a meal plan represents the fixed costs of operating the dining halls prior to food purchase.  Vacancy charges are assessed to the organization.  The University does not directly bill individuals for a vacant bed or a "single room buyout."

Vacancy Billing Schedule for 2014-15

  • September 3:  All moves must be completed (paperwork submitted and processed in administrative systems) to receive initial vacancy bill. Moves after this point will not receive a meal plan credit.

  • September 10: Fall parlor and vacancy invoices processed.

  • October 10: Fall parlor and vacancy invoices due.

  • October 14: Fall late fee of 10% not to exceed $100 will be added to account.

  • January 28:  All moves must be completed (paperwork submitted and processed in administrative systems) to receive initial vacancy bill. Moves after this point will not receive a meal plan credit

  • February 10: Spring parlor and vacancy invoices processed.

  • March 10: Spring parlor and vacancy invoices due.

  • March 13: Spring late fee of 10% not to exceed $100 will be added to account.


Vacancy Meal Cards

When an organization has a vacant space, the organization is able to request a vacancy meal card from the Residential Learning Coordinators in order to recoup the the vacancy meal plan cost.  In the event of a resident buying out their room, that person is able to request a vacancy meal card via their organization to help

  • How do we order these? -   The House Supervisor will send an e-mail request to the Residential Learning Coordinators. The RLCs will approve and forward the request for the cards to the Business Services Office.  The House Supervisor will be contacted when the cards are available for pickup.

  • Who picks them up? – The House Supervisor will be notified by e-mail that the cards are available for pickup.

  • How do they get used? – The person who obtains the card will need to go to the Hokie Passport Office and add money to the card. Any unused Flex Dollars added to the base charge for a semester vacancy are deactivated and forfeited at the end of that semester. No refunds or rollovers can be given on these cards.


Please make checks payable to “Treasurer of Virginia Tech” and mail to:


Office of the University Bursar

150 Student Services Building 

Blacksburg, VA  24061  


It is important to include your payment stub in with your payment.